Crisp & Refreshing Hard Cider in the D
By: Michael Fossbakk
April 19, 2017
Hard cider is a staple drink that is almost synonymous with fall, but why not satisfy your hard cider sweet tooth in April, too? Thank Mother Nature and Michigan for coming in clutch with fresh apples and more perfect for making hard cider. Here are five places serving up hard cider in metro Detroit.
What began as a hardware store in 1972 is now a full-scale brewery in Warren. Founded by Bret and Eric Kuhnhenn, Kuhnhenn Brewing Co. has been serving craft beer since 2001. As far as hard ciders go, Kuhnhenn brews its cider with Michigan apples, cinnamon, roasted pecans and vanilla. The best part? Kuhnhenn brews their cider year-round.
HopCat Detroit has quite a few offerings from several breweries when it comes to hard cider. In fact, there are currently six hard ciders on tap at the Detroit location:
- Chapman’s Blend from Vandermill
- Cinnamon Black Cyser from Northville Winery & Brewing Co.
- Ginger Grass from Sietsema Orchards
- Kiss by Cara from Northville Winery & Brewing Co.
- Tequila BA Sunshine Nectar from Redstone Meadery
- Dry-Hopped Cherry from Sietsema Orchards
The Beer Grotto in Ann Arbor has a pub-style atmosphere that reflects the passion the staff has for craft beer, wine and more. When you go to The Beer Grotto, you’ll be presented with the opportunity to taste something new and then take it home with you in a growler, howler or bottle. The Beer Grotto carries two hard ciders currently: Raspberry Cider from Sierra Rose and the aptly named Hard Cider from Vandermill.
Cellarman’s does three things: cider, mead and beer. The former is what we’re concerned about, though. All drinks are brewed in-house and use only real, fresh ingredients. For example, the ciders only use fresh Michigan apples and raw honey. Cellarman’s currently has four ciders available:
- Traditional Dry: Fermented until completely dry and then carbonated
- Semi-Sweet: House cider sweetened with a bit of Star Thistle honey from Petoskey, MI
- Pineapple: Fresh pineapple from the Philippines and Star Thistle honey
- Ethiopian Limu Coffee Cider: Made with Ethiopian coffee roasted at Chazzano Coffee in Ferndale, MI
As the next-door neighbor to the popular Parmenter’s Cider Mill, Northville Winery & Brewing Co. has been around since 1982 and over time has expanded its operations to include a tap room, microbrew, a stage for live music and more. Currently, there are five hard ciders (and one non-alcoholic cider) available and brewed in-house:
- Crimson Dew (cherry apple)
- BBC (bourbon barrel aged)
- Cherry Lemon Lime Cyser
- Rockin’ Cock (semi-dry hard apple cider)
- Crimson Duke (bourbon barrel aged cherry cider infused with honey)
*Please be sure to drink responsibly. Always plan for a designated driver or contact a transportation service like Uber or Lyft.