Free Concerts Rock Summertime in the D
July 5, 2011
Ah, summertime. The livin’ is easy and the concerts are free. Well, at least some of them are.
You don’t need a ticket to attend one of many Metro Detroit area free outdoor concerts. Just show up with a blanket or chair and perhaps a picnic dinner and you’re set for the evening’s entertainment. You can even bring the kids along.
The City of Farmington Hills offers free Thursday-night concerts all summer at Heritage Park, located on Farmington Road between 10 and 11 Mile Roads. The city’s Cultural Arts department even built an amphitheater there to set the stage, said Cultural Arts Supervisor Nancy Coumoundoros.
“It’s a large wooden structure that fits right into the natural setting of the park,” Coumoundoros said. “It faces a hill, so everyone sits on the hill and can hear the music. It makes for great acoustics.”
The concerts, which begin at 7 p.m., encompass a variety of music, Coumoundoros said. “We’ve had some national award-winning bands,” she said.
Highlights of the 2011 season are Rock and Soul, a popular band that plays hits from all eras; Metro Jazz Voices, a new band that sings in four-part harmony; the Farmington Community Chorus and Farmington Community Band; and Arizona Son with newscaster Devin Scillian playing country tunes the whole family can enjoy. See a full schedule at www.ci.farmington-hills.mi.us/.
These outdoor concerts foster a family-friendly atmosphere, where people can enjoy the park and each other, all for free. Here are some other places in Metro Detroit where you can enjoy free outdoor concerts:
- Garden Parties at The Whitney in Detroit: Thursdays 5-8 p.m., www.thewhitney.com
- Dearborn City Hall Park: Wednesdays 7-9 p.m., www.eastdowntowndearborn.com
- Bud Light Riversight & Sound Concert Series at the Mount Clemens Riverfront: Fridays 7:30 p.m.,www.downtownmountclemens.com/Concerts.cfm
- Rockin’ on the Riverfront at Detroit’s Riverfront Plaza: Fridays 8 p.m.,www.wcsx.com/RockinontheRiverfront2011.aspx
- Grosse Pointe Music on the Plaza at The Village Festival Plaza: Thursdays 7 p.m., www.thevillagegp.com
- Milford Summer Concert Series at Central Park: Thursdays 7 p.m., www.meetmeinmilford.com