Metro Detroit Shops Go All Out on Pączki on Fat Tuesday
By: Michael Fossbakk
March 4, 2019
With Fat Tuesday just around the corner, pączki lovers are clamoring for the delicious fried, jelly-filled donut. While pączki originated in Poland as a way to use up all lard, sugar, eggs and fruit in homes before Lent began, the variety of pączki available today has grown immensely.
Just look at three of the “Union Family of Joints” stores and restaurants that are gearing up for Fat Tuesday in a big way with pączki like “House of Jen” (raspberry filled, Nutella glaze and white chocolate raspberry pretzel bark) and “Churro Toast Crunch” (cinnamon custard, ginger cookie glaze, Cinnamon Toast Crunch topping).
Social media manager for the Union Family of Joints Jim Miller says they conducted a poll on Instagram where fans voted on 32 different pączki flavors in order for the company to narrow the list down to four. Those four flavors will now go on to be produced and sold on Tuesday, March 5 for Fat Tuesday.
One of the 28 flavors that didn’t make the cut was a “Fortnite” pączki that was filled with a Mountain Dew® custard and topped with crushed Doritos®. You read that right. It’s unclear what flavor of Mountain Dew and Doritos was going to be used for this concoction. Still, I wonder what the most diehard Fortnite fans would think of that one.
Others that didn’t receive enough votes include Faygo Red Pop, Boston Cooler, Passionfruit Habanero, General Tso’s Cheesecake and “7th Inning Stretch,” a peanut butter and caramel-filled pączki topped with candied peanuts and popcorn.
Talk about being creative in the kitchen.
- “House of Jen” – raspberry compote filled, topped with a Nutella glaze and white chocolate raspberry pretzel bark.
- “Leave the Gun” – pistachio-orange cannoli custard filled, vanilla glazed.
- “Gimme S’more” – filled with toasted marshmallow creme, chocolate glazed, torched mallow & graham crumbles to boot.
- “Churro Toast Crunch” – cinnamon custard filled, ginger cookie glaze, Cinnamon Toast Crunch krispie treats topper.
Pączki will be available for $3.95 each on Tuesday from:
- 6:00 a.m. till they’re gone at Honcho
- 7:00 a.m. till they’re gone at Gran Castor and
- 11:00 a.m. till they’re gone at Union General Store