Make it a Michigan Fall with Cider, Apples & More
By: Michael Fossbakk
September 23, 2019
Ah, fall. The cider mills are open, people are chugging cider by the gallon and powdered doughnuts can be smelled a mile away. There’s nothing quite like this time of year in Michigan.
But, why stop at apple cider? How about a bushel of fresh apples for all those apple pies you promised you’d bring to Thanksgiving? And how are you going to cap off a nice, fall evening surrounded by friends and campfire light? Why not a glass of hard cider, fresh from the brewery?
You really can have it all in the Mitten State.
First and foremost, cider mills are likely on everyone’s mind this time of year. People of all ages can enjoy a nice glass and who can say no to a cinnamon & sugar doughnut fresh from the fryer? It’s the perfect family-friendly outing this time of year in Michigan and we have a few recommendations below:
- Franklin Cider Mill (Open now – Dec. 1) – Check out the Franklin Grill down the street for lunch or dinner!
- Parmenter’s Cider Mill (Open now – Nov. 24) – Parents, there’s a winery next door. 😉
- Yates Cider Mill (Open now – Dec. 23) – Look for the big water wheel; can’t miss it!
- Goodison Cider Mill (Open now – Dec. 24, *weekends only after Thanksgiving) – Try the pistachio nut bread fresh from the bakery!
U-Pick Apple Farms
When the season’s right, you’ll want to stock up on all kinds of apples for the coming months. Think of all the uses apples have! Apple pies, apple cobblers, and bobbing for apples are just a few that come to mind. Get your personal haul of apples from one of the local orchards below:
- Erwin Orchards (Open now – Nov. 3) – Check out the corn maze, too!
- Blake’s Orchards (Open now – early Nov.) – Of the famed hard cider name.
- Spicer’s Orchards (Open Jun. – Dec.) – More than 10 kinds of fall apples!
- Big Red Orchard (Open TBD) – So much more than just an orchard.
Whoever thought to ferment apple cider was onto something because people didn’t just stop with apples. In fact, breweries across Metro Detroit are constantly coming up with new hard cider flavors to enjoy and we couldn’t be more thankful. Taste some of the best at the places below:
- Northville Winery & Brewing Co. (Open now – Nov. 24) – Next door to Parmenter’s in Northville.
- Spicer’s Winery (Open year-round) – Check out special events like a Halloween murder mystery.
- B. Nektar (Open year-round) – Known for their meads but also have some killer hard ciders.
- Fieldstone Hard Cider Co. (Open year-round) – It’s in the name!
Remember to drink responsibly and plan ahead with a designated driver or take advantage of one of these local designated driving services.