Fall is, without a doubt, my favorite season. Crisp leaves, cool weather, and cozy fashion—it doesn’t get much better than that! Except when you add in these three little words: cider and donuts.
If, like me, you eagerly anticipate the opening day of cider mills like most people await Christmas, you’ll be glad to know that most of the area’s cider mills are now officially in session.
Say it with me now: HOORAY!
Cider and donuts are obviously the main attraction here, but they have plenty more to offer, too. For the health conscious, there are fresh apples, and for those with a sweet tooth (hi there), there is an array of baked goods.
I give you some of the best cider mills in Metro Detroit, that are ready and waiting for your visit:
Plymouth Orchards, 10685 Warren Rd., Plymouth Township
- Watch apple cider being made in the pressing room
- Bring the kids to enjoy the small zoo outdoors!
Parmenter’s Cider Mill, 714 Baseline, Northville
- Right across the street from the Northville Winery
- Products besides cider and donuts include apple pie, cinnamon roasted almonds, pumpkin butter, maple syrup and more!
Wiard’s, 5565 Merritt Rd., Ypsilanti
- U-pick apples
- Store and bakery features pies, jams, honey and more!
Yates Cider Mill, 1990 E. Avon Rd., Rochester Hills
- In addition to the cider mill, Yates includes an ice cream shop and fudge shop
- Bring the kids to enjoy pony rides and a petting zoo!
Diehl’s Orchard & Cider Mill, 1479 Ranch Rd., Holly
- Weekend activities include a kiddie maze and hike through the apple orchard
- Tour the cider mill on Saturday mornings
Franklin Cider Mill, 7450 Franklin Rd., Bloomfield Hills
- Over a dozen varieties of fresh “Grandma Franklin” pies, including Chocolate Cream, Pumpkin, Cherry Crumb and, of course, French Apple.
- The cider here is un-pasteurized and un-filtered, so you’re getting the best pure apple juice possible
Rochester Cider Mill, 5125 N. Rochester Rd., Rochester
- The biggest variety of donuts around, including plain, cinnamon sugar, blueberry, apple cinnamon with maple glaze, powdered, cherry, chocolate frosted, lemon with sprinkles
- Free family-friendly activities include a giant hay climbing pyramid
Alber Orchard, 13011 Bethel Church Rd., Manchester
- Offers nearly 100 varieties of apples
- There’s often live entertainment going on at the orchard, so check the schedule online before you go!
Dexter Cider Mill, 3685 Central St., Dexter
- In addition to donuts, apple nut bread, pies, strudel, turnovers and gingersnaps are baked fresh
- This is the oldest operating cider mill in Michigan—check it out for a cool piece of history!
Apple Charlie’s, 38035 S. Huron, New Boston
- Four delicious words: apple chopped cinnamon bread
- The pavilion features live entertainment and extra snacks, including Dearborn sausage, hot dogs, nachos and, of course, cider and donuts
Cider mill season is finally upon us—rejoice! I Grab a friend and a camera and enjoy a beautiful day outside with some fresh cider and donuts.