When it comes to celebrating New Year’s Eve, there are two groups of people: the ones who like to stay at home and either have a relaxed celebration on the couch or rejoice with friends, or the type that likes to go out and party like it’s 1999.
I’m at an age where I’m not quite sure which of the above categories I fit into: pretty recently I realized that I’m not exactly 21 anymore and can’t hang like I used to, yet I’m not sure I’m prepared to not go out on New Year’s Eve. The struggle, eh? If you’ve got some money in your pocket to burn and are looking for a good time, any of the following parties, events and concerts are where you want to be on Wednesday, Dec. 31 to ring in the New Year.
- New Year’s Eve Party at Blackfinn, 530 S. Main St., Royal Oak, begins at 9 p.m. and the $30 cover includes a champagne toast at midnight, live DJ, party favors, snacks and $10 gift card. This event is 21 and up only.
- NYE 2015 Resolution Ball at the Fillmore, 2115 Woodward Ave., Detroit, sells out every year and includes cirque style entertainment, a champagne toast, party favors, midnight buffet and more. Party pass tickets cost $115, and the event is 21 and up only.
- New Year’s Eve at Laurel Manor, 39000 Schoolcraft Rd., Livonia, will be a party complete with live entertainment, a premium open bar, dessert table, champagne toast and more for $95 per person.
- NYE 2015 at Elektricity, 15 S. Saginaw St., Pontiac, is one of the few 18 and up events around, which includes a live broadcast by Detroit’s Channel 95.5. Plenty of prizes will be given away throughout the night, and early bird tickets cost $12.
- MGM Grand Detroit 2015 New Year Celebration, 1777 3rd St., Detroit, has all kinds of entertainment going on, at AXIS Lounge, V Nightclub, Ignite Sushi Bar & Lounge and Agua Rum & Tequila Bar. Click the link above for full details and pricing.
- New Year’s Eve at the Sugar House, 2130 Michigan Ave., Detroit, will include four high quality drinks with your $100 ticket, a champagne toast and appetizers.
- The New Year’s Eve Midnight Kiss 2015 Party at Forestre Hotel, 1919 Star Batt Dr., Rochester Hills, will transform its ballroom into a lounge with plenty of room for dancing, along with a DJ spinning top 40 tunes, snacks, cash prizes and more. General admission tickets cost $55 to $65.
- Motor City NYE 2015, located at Campus Martius and Cadillac Square in Detroit, is free and includes live entertainment, carriage rides, ice skating, heated tents and more.
- BLAST: NYE 2015 at Marriott Centerpoint, 3600 Centerpoint Pkwy., Pontiac, features entertainment by aerialists, tarot card readers, live music, a late night buffet and more. Tickets cost $55 for general admission.
- Bleu Out: New Year’s Eve 2015, 1540 Woodward Ave., Detroit, begins at 10 p.m. and complimentary appetizers will be served until midnight. General admission tickets cost $20, and the party doesn’t stop until 4 a.m.
- New Year’s Eve Party at Bailey’s, 1777 N. Canton Center Rd., Canton, is a great opportunity to check out the newly revamped location. There is no cover charge, and the evening will include a free champagne toast at midnight, DJs, $5 shot specials, $5 drink specials and $5 cheese and pepperoni pizzas.
- Umphrey’s McGee at the Fillmore, 2115 Woodward Ave., Detroit, will rock you into the New Year in style. Doors open at 7 p.m. and tickets cost $25 to $35. Strictly 18 and up.
- DSO New Year’s Eve Gala, 3711 Woodward Ave., Detroit, allows you to ring in the New Year with the Detroit Symphony Orchestra. Tickets for the New Year’s Eve Gala Benefit ($175 to $500) and concert only ($40 to $50) are available.
- Mike Epps at the Fox Theatre, 2211 Woodward Ave., Detroit, is a great way to say hello to the New Year. Who doesn’t love a little bit of comedy? The performance begins at 9 p.m. and tickets cost $59.75 to $85.75 in advance.
While you may not have the funds to purchase tickets to the most grandiose party in town, that doesn’t mean you have to just sit at home on the couch with a bottle of bubbly. Grab your group of friends, select a party that’s reasonably affordable for all of you, and check out the group rates for any of the above parties. Remember to be safe and responsible, and as always, have a designated driver or car service on hand. Happy New Year!