We have spoken about the many features, beautiful scenery and countless activities at the Huron-Clinton Metroparks several times on “In the D,” and the spring season is no different. The flowers are blooming, the weather will warm up (one day soon, hopefully) and spring fever will be upon us. Enjoying one or more of the 13 metroparks this season is surely an excursion to consider. Here are five reasons why:
- Biking: Hudson Mills Metropark offers a 10-foot wide paved path and eight miles worth of trails winding along the Huron River! Oakwoods Metropark has a three-mile long paved course, which connects to 12 more miles of paved trails at Lower Huron and Willow Metroparks (30-mile round trip activity).
- Did somebody say picnic? A picnic is a perfect thing to do with family or your significant other. Delhi, Huron Meadows, Lake Erie and several other parks have great picnic areas with beautiful backdrops. Picnic areas can also be rented out. The weather has to cooperate at some point, I’m sure.
- It’s golf season: Spring also means it’s time to hit the links again. The Huron-Clinton Metroparks golf courses are among the most beautiful in the state, as well as challenging. Kensington offers a 6,624-yard course, which is par-71. Similarly, Wolcott Mill offers 6,266 yards worth of fun (par-72). All in all, 10 parks offer courses.
- Let’s go camping: Several metroparks allow camping; with some available year-round. Stony Creek Metropark begins its camping season in late May, while Hudson Mills has camping available all year. Walnut Grove Campground at Lower Huron Metropark features 27 rustic campsites. A permit is required to camp at each park.
- Disc Golf is always a blast: If you’re an avid disc golf player, or looking to try it out, I would suggest doing so at a metropark. Kensington’s Black Lotus course is a 27-hole course with gorgeous scenery. Stony Creek and Willow also have great, challenging courses to try out. Willow’s longest hole is more than 700-feet long!
These are just five of the numerous reasons to hit up a metropark this season. These parks provide great options to stay active, have fun and spend time with loved ones.