Development Centers: Helping Detroit’s Residents From Pre-School to Employment

By: Metro Detroit Chevy Dealers | September 21, 2018
In the D placeholder image

When it comes to helping people be the best version of themselves, nonprofit organization Development Centers in Detroit is providing excellent services for children and adults.

After merging two agencies (The Children’s Orthogenic Center and Phoenix Place), Development Centers was created to provide behavioral health services to people throughout Northwest Detroit. At the time, they had a staff of 24 and served 700 people across four programs. Today, those numbers have grown to a staff of 300 serving 12,000 people across 26 programs.

Adventure starts with a vehicle that’s up for anything. Trailblazer combines comfort you want, the versatility you need, and the technology to make every moment count.

Two of those programs are Head Start (ages 3-5) and Early Head Start (18 months-3 years), in which Development Centers has 300 students enrolled across its four locations. Both work with children to prepare them for kindergarten through a structured curriculum that challenges the children to learn new things about themselves and the world around them.

These two programs are federally-funded, but not entirely. The federal government covers 80% of operational costs for Head Start programs. The remaining 20% must be covered by Development Centers itself, which looks to the Detroit community for in-kind donations. Development Centers also employs the state of Michigan-funded pre-kindergarten program, Great Start Readiness Program (GSRP), for four-year-olds. From the students’ point of view, nothing changes. From Development Centers’ point of view, they are able to combine resources from Head Start and GSRP to provide the students the full breadth of services Development Centers has at its disposal.

In addition to Head Start and Early Head Start, Development Centers also employs other early childhood development programs, such as Early On, which has a trained professional visiting children under the age of three with developmental delays in their home.

Additional programs within Development Centers include PATH (Partnership Accountability Training Hope), which helps adults find employment through basic hiring preparation, hands-on training and other workplace readiness exercises, and counseling and therapy services for adults, children and families.

To find out everything Development Centers is doing for the Detroit community, visit

If you know of a great organization that should be our next #ChevyDetroitChampion, click here to let us know!